On 15 Apr 2011 at 6:19, mu...@rgsmithmusic.com wrote:

> Clearly there are historic and formal reasons for the continued use of
> some repeats. And page turns can also be a consideration. But the
> original post was about a double coda. My comment was especially about
> complicated and non-standard patterns as well as a general statement
> that we should carefully consider the use of repeats in the light of
> modern software.

I'm agreeing with the general point you made, but cautioning against
throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Sometimes in these
discussions it seems like there's a rejection of any kind of repeat
notation, which I think is too dogmatic.

But I certainly agree that anything that is not immediately clear on
first sight should be questioned. If the players have to pencil
something in in order to know what to do, you should probably
reconsider writing it out...