On 25 May 2011 at 17:14, Christopher Smith wrote:

> I do make a distinction between viruses and other malware, because of
> the way viruses can be distributed with very little action on the part
> of the victims.

I don't think that's really the proper distinction. And I'm not
certain what the definition of a virus would be. In the old days of
floppy disk boot sector viruses, it was pretty easy to understand.
Nowadays, the number of vectors and the type of exploits has greatly
multiplied, and I don't think there's any simple delineation between
the different types.

The fact is, there are plenty of possible exploits out that can be
run without user intervention because of unpatched vulnerabilities in
all kinds of software. These "zero-day" exploits sound like what you
are referring to with your definition above, but they still exist,
and they are there for all platforms, including Windows, Mac and
Linux.

Fortunately, they are relatively hard to discover and generally
require a lot of expertise to exploit for any useful purpose.