I think a key question to answer, before you worry about the notated
duration of the note, is "what is the bat hitting" (or, what is hitting
the bat)?
If the percussionist/batter is hitting a baseball into the audience, a
1/16th note is probably good, because the sound will naturally be short.
If the target is a metal plate, it would be somewhat resonant, and a
1/16th note probably isn't usefully accurate. If something is hitting a
non-resonant bat, quarters are probably fine. I doubt anyone wants to read
un-necessary rests, if they don't add meaning to a moment.
Is tempo an issue?
Generally, there is little point in notating things in percussion short
enough that they might be acoustically accurate. If that was the case,
snare drum notes would never be notated as quarters; they all be 1/16ths
or shorter, with lots of following rests.
Re: the fermata. Does the bat ring, and require a terminal tie like a
ringing orchestral cymbal part? That might be a reasonable alternative to
the fermata mark.I agree that the fermata should not go over the note,
because the note isn't likely to be long, but if the point is to freeze
the action, putting it over the second beat rest seems reasonable.
Re: single or five-line staff. I can't imagine it matters to a player.
Clarity isn't an issue here, so visual aesthetics might be a more pressing
concern.
Interesting questions,
Geoff