Hello Everyone,

FYI, response from Curtis at MM, A very helpful support person and answered my
question.

Thank you for contacting MakeMusic. I believe I have found a solution for your
whole rest positioning problem. This will have the whole rest in the default
position in the score, and will make it able to be moved in the part. To do so,
change the Staff Style assigned to the score to the Blank Notation: All Layers.
Then edit that staff style and check "Display rests in empty measures" and
change the Alternate Notation to "Blank Notation with Rests" and uncheck
everything in the other layers. You can then create a whole rest in layer 2 in
the part and position it wherever you would like to. Please feel free to
respond to this case if you have any further questions about this issue.

Curtis W.
MakeMusic Customer Support

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Greg