See
http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2012/08/07/makemusic-reports-second-quarter-2012-results

It includes the comment "Development efforts are well underway towards a
mid-2013 launch of a modernized Finale product that takes advantage of
current technology and workflows."

My interpretation is that they are biting the bullet to get away from
the database/programming environment they have built everything around
forever, but that wont be done in 2013, so they are going to put out one
more release on the old platform.

Is that how others read it?

I guess another way to read it is that they are incrementally upgrading
some layers of their software, but they want to retain compatibility
with "current technology", meaning plug-ins and scripts ???  That would
be more consistent with the decision to skip the annual upgrade.