I did some more messing around and discovered it had nothing to do with the
expressions. The Garritan player was somehow confused. I changed the
playback instrument from "Contrabassoon Solo" to "Bass Clarinet Solo" which
caused the instrument to start playing again. Then I changed it back and
all was (for the moment) well.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Darcy James Argue <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> I always use the 8vb bass clef in these situations, with the transposition
> set to "8va, bass clef."
>
> This works reliably, without messing with expressions -- is it a
> possibility in your case? If you're using a transposed score, it should
> work just fine with no issues, since no one will ever see the 8vb clef.
>
> If you are using a concert pitch score and do not want to see an 8vb bass
> clef, you could simply substitute the character in the clef designer.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - DJA
> -----
> WEB: http://www.secretsocietymusic.org
>
>
>
> On 30 Sep 2012, at 11:50 PM, Robert Patterson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am writing a contrabassoon part in a C score. The way I usually handle
> C
> > scores is that I label each transposing instrument "sounding as written",
> > but I do not so label octave transposing instruments. That allows me to
> not
> > be fussy about them.
> >
> > But it puts me in a quandary for correct playback, and I had thought
> > transposing expression would work. But I am finding (at least sometimes)
> > they don't transpose. Specifically, I have a bassoon/contra doubling
> part.
> > When the contra part starts I put a hidden "T-12" transposing expression
> in
> > the score. It was actually working, but then it stopped, and I have no
> idea
> > what changed. I certainly did not change anything on purpose.
> >
> > Does anyone know why a transposing exp. might not transpose? Oddly
> enough,
> > my piccolo expressions are transposing. Go figure. The options in the
> > assignment dialogs for both contra and piccolo exps look the same to me.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Finale mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to