The business about providing a C score for singers is a recommendation that
comes from bitter experience. I wrote a cycle for soprano, horn,
percussion, and piano. The singer is working from score. Originally it was
a transposed score, but I quickly discovered the singers were much more
comfortable seeing the horn where it sounded.

Same thing for a more recent cycle with bass clarinet. The singers I have
worked with "get" C clefs way better than they get transposing instruments
using G clefs.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM, John Howell <[email protected]> wrote:

> At 2:41 PM -0500 10/1/12, Robert Patterson wrote:
> >No, I mean vocal chamber music with transposing instruments.
>
>
> Ahhh. That didn't occur to me.  Sorry.  But why
> is that really a problem?  90% of singers
> couldn't read a viola part in alto clef, either,
> but *I* would want to see it where it belongs.
> Isn't that what the piano reduction is for in the
> first place?  It WILL be used for practice as the
> singer learns his or her part.
>
> John
>
>
> --
> John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Virginia Tech Department of Music
> School of Performing Arts & Cinema
> College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
> 290 College Ave., Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0240
> Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
> (mailto:[email protected])
> http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html
>
> "Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
> (Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to