Sounds like MM doesn't understand your problem. From reading your email, it
sounds like they were addressing the blue page guides (which are set
manually by the user), rather than the gray margin lines (which are defined
in Finale).

I have "show margins" checked. The center line is visible (which I like).
When I uncheck "show margins," the center line goes away. The issue isn't
related to the page guides (the light blue lines).

I experience the same behavior as you in 2012: The center line is visible
on every tool except the page layout tool. I checked 2010 and it's the same
there as well. It would be great to have that center line visible in the
page layout tool.

I think right now the best work around is to set a page guide at the
centerpoint so that it's visible in all tools.



On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM, Michael Mathew
<[email protected]>wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> 1. what shows when you've checked margins is not the same thing.
>
> 2. view menu; grid/guide; check, show guides
>
> 3. view menu; show; rulers
>
> 4. with cursor in rule, double click and the blue line with a heart shaped
> arrow head, will appear on the page under all tools, including page layout.
>
> My first attempt was with the margins showing. It took Jef's reply to help
> me make the connection.
>
> Michael Mathew
> [email protected]
> http://www.musicengravers.com/cgi-bin/engravers.pl
> http://oregonmts.com/mathew/
>
>
> >________________________________
> > From: Stephen Cronin <[email protected]>
> >To: [email protected]
> >Sent: Friday, February 8, 2013 2:19 PM
> >Subject: [Finale] Page layout behaviour
> >
> >Hello List,
> >
> >Just a report back after my discussion with MM support about the centre
> alignment guides that disappear when the Page Layout Tool is selected...
> >
> >First response to my message and screen shots was:
> >
> >> "Thanks for contacting us and I can certainly help. I would not expect
> the guides to change at all when you click the Page Layout Tool. Do they by
> chance reappear when you press Command + R to show rulers. Also, just so I
> know what I am looking at as I cannot see your entire screen in the
> attached files, did you change the guide color from it's default light blue?
> >>
> >> What surprises me about these shots is that the page and system margins
> are showing when you are in the Selection Tool which I would expect even
> less.
> >>
> >> With that aside just for now, here's how I would align the staves:
> >> 1. Page Layout Tool
> >> 2. From the menubar at the top of your screen select Page Layout >
> Systems > Edit Margins
> >>
> >> A default document with an 8.5 x 11 page size has left and right
> margins of .5 inches (on each side) - Therefore the inside width of the
> document is 7.5 inches - divide this by 2 and this is the size that the
> right side of each system margin should be set to 3.5 inches."
> >
> >I responded with more screen shots to clarify and the response was:
> >
> >> When you have View > Show > Margins checked all margins show with the
> Selection Tool active. (your screenshot 3)
> >> When Page Layout Tool is active the middle vertical and middle
> horizontal margins disappear - this is what I would expect (as inconvenient
> as it is in this case, it is normal behavior).
> >>
> >> When Guides (light blue lines) are assigned with the Selection Tool
> active, they are still visible when switching to the Page Layout Tool (and
> vice versa) - This is where we're getting different behavior.
> >
> >The advice continued "trash the preferences" (Gee, I didn't see that
> coming!?!) which I dutifully did to no change and the annoyance that I had
> to set them up again...
> >
> >Fact is, these lines are available in EVERY tool except Page Layout.
> (With my limited knowledge of programming, that suggests to me there is a
> box in the OO programming environment that needs to be ticked!)
> >
> >Why are these lines so important to me?
> >
> >I frequently create worksheets for my students where i have musical
> examples on one side of the page and space for text or answers on the
> other. When these guides were available in Page Layout, all one had to do
> was select the system handles (left or right) and drag them to the centre
> guide. Done and dusted.
> >
> >As a workaround I have modified the default file so that a pale blue
> version of the lines is present in every new document. Trouble is, now you
> can't turn it off by de-selecting Show Margins. You have to turn the rulers
> on and delete the blue guides.
> >
> >What was once a an easy one-step process is now a pain in the arse!
> >
> >Stephen
> >
> >
>
> >________________________________________________________________________________
> >
> >
> >ars est longa,
> >vita brevis
> >
> >Stephen Cronin's home page: http://www.stephen.cronin.name
> >{real+imagined} http://www.real-imagined.com.au
> >
> >
> >
> >_______________________________________________
> >Finale mailing list
> >[email protected]
> >http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
> >
> >
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to