The single best thing you can do for your MacPro is move the system to a SSD.
Or do a Fusion drive on it. My 2008 MacPro takes about 20 seconds to boot.

Second thing you can do is install 10.8 or 10.9. It requires a little bit of
work, but it is totally possible. You need to install Chameleon  or something
similar. There are various threads on the net on how to do this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1325709

But the single biggest increase you can get is a SSD in it. NIGHT AND DAY
performance.

NOT Sent from an iCar
--
Eric Dannewitz