I did not misunderstand the proposal, but that's okay.  Composers have never
been truly universal in the ways they have tackled problems, and so to hear
that one would prefer A Lydian in four sharps shouldn't be a surprise.  I don't
mean any disrespect toward those who choose the 3+1 approach; I just simply
disagree and believe that 4 sharps would be better.

It's not a matter of the "major" modes (Lydian, Mixolydian) and the "minor"
modes (Dorian, Phrygian).  I get that.  Perhaps you misunderstood what I was
saying about the major key acting as mode.  No, it's not a "church mode", but
major and minor are modes in their own rights.  If it helps, a list, using
tonic A as our example:

A Lydian - 4 sharps
A Major - 3 sharps
A Mixolydian - 2 sharps
A Dorian - 1 sharp
A Minor (natural, of course) - no sharps or flats
A Phrygian - 1 flat

Call major "Ionian" and minor "Aeolian" if you will.  Doesn't matter to me.

Douglas Brown
Adjunct Professor, School of Music
Wayland Baptist University

Douglas, with respect, I think you misunderstood the proposal. MINOR
modes (those with a minor third) would use a minor key signature.
MAJOR modes (those with a major third) would use a major key
signature. Only the notes that made the mode different from the
parallel major or minor would have to be altered, which never gives
more than one alteration in the Church modes, except for locrian,
which requires two (the flat 2 and flat 5.)

In our tonal world, I think many musicians think of modes as altered
major or minor scales, rather than a major scale starting on a
different note.

Christopher