Thanks, Eric. I know I'm headed that way eventually, so maybe I'll do it sooner
rather than later if I can verify that all the software I'm using will work
with Mavericks on this system.

Meanwhile, since we now have the ability in Finale 2014 to export a file as a
2012 version, I did that and *the same file* opens fine in 2012 and behaves as
expected - none of the delays I was experiencing in 2014 on the same file on
the same system.

I know this doesn't really isolate the cause of the problem in 2014 on my
machine, but it suggests to me that there's no obvious reason why the same
document should behave differently (worse) in the newer version than the older,
and that it's not necessarily a corrupt file.

And it makes me really skittish about doing any real work in Finale 2014 on
this computer till I know what's going on.

Doug