David,

I assume you have a IPA font already, such as the ones at SIL.ORG, e.g.,
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=gentium_download

I think Windows fonts have the SIL codepoint (just checked; Arial does
have unicode IPA). I'm not sure about Mac, but I don't know why they
wouldn't.
You didn't mention Windows or Mac. The SIL fonts have the IPA characters
at the IPA code point, as well as newer builtin fonts.

That said, probably the easiest way to do this is to have a keyboard
mapping tool, if you're going to do this a lot. I don't use these
characters much, but I do use other unicode characters a bit. The website
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-unicode.htm
appears to have some helpful tips (not finale-related) that may help as
well.

Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but hope this helps.