On Sun, September 4, 2016 6:46 am, SN jef chippewa wrote:
> somewhere deep within your computer there is a database with
> instruments that can only be edited -- as i recall -- with a
> programme that can write/read mysql... or something like that.  i
> don't recommend it, but have edited it in the past for my own needs.

It used to be an extensive XML file. I edited it to add an alto flute back
when there wasn't one available. It required creating a custom soundfont (sfz)
file for the instrument (I have an soundfont editor, and based it on a
standard flute).

Now it's GIFFinstruments.txt (user settings) combined with Instruments for
Finale.bank.xml (in the Garritan program entry) and probably other things.
Since every Finale version recreates this file, it's a pain to find and edit
these by hand.

> thought of the day -- we have it backwards: there are not finale
> workarounds, but rather finale IS a workaround for our notational
> needs. :P

Yes.

Dennis