On 12/1/2016 8:40 PM, Steve Parker wrote:
> I’ve spent a few hours playing with the Dorico trial.
> The workflow seems terrible..
> Can anyone answer some basic things? (I’ve rtfm…)
> How can I add bars?
> Can I use the arrow keys to input notes rather than a, b, c etc?
> I was really hoping that Dorico would be open and modeless, in the sense that
> if I grab something, I should be able to move it.
> That doesn’t even seem to be the case with basic text.
> How do (easily) move a bar from one system to the next. Things like this (I
> thought) had been solved simply by Finale and Sibelius already. Dorico seems
> to be re-inventing the wheel for the hell of it (or patent avoidance..?).
>
> In general, is there some way to create a layout of systems and bars and
> *then* add the notes?
>
> If you can help, maybe reply off list. This is in no way urgent!

To add bars once you've entered a time signature, in "Write" mode hit
shift-B then enter a + sign plus the number of bars you want to enter.
Easier than either Finale or Sibelius where you have to use a menu or
ribbon to get to the option to add more measures.

The workflow is different.  I don't think it's terrible, but it's
certainly something which requires people using Dorico to approach it as
a brand-new program and try to learn it from the ground up rather than
try to apply Sibelius or Finale workflows to it.

You can't use arrow keys in combination with numeric keys to enter notes
like you can in Finale.  You can't do that in Sibelius either.  In
Dorico you use number keys to select the duration and then a letter key
to select the pitch.  That's the same as with Sibelius although which
number key relates to which note is different from either Finale or
Sibelius.  In Dorico you can simply select the duration with the number
key or click on a palette (like Simple Entry in Finale) and then click
on the line/space where you want the note to appear so you don't need to
use the alpha keys to set the pitch.  And you can also use midi keyboard
entry.

To move a measure to the next system, click the something in the measure
you want to be the first one on the next system (I find it easy to
remember to click the barline that ends the measure) and hit shift-S.
This is different from either Sibelius or Finale where you click the
barline at the end of the measure you want to remain on the current
system and hit enter and the next measure moves to the next system.

Dorico's developers have tried to create a program which will be good
for composers to compose at as well as for engravers to create elegant
output for publication.  And they felt the best way to accomplish that
is to separate what they felt were the five basic aspects to creating a
score into separate "modes."

So they have Setup, Write, Engrave, Play and Print as separate modes.
Just as a composer would start by deciding what instruments/singers to
write for and start out by creating a blank score, then would write the
music without worrying about how the final layout would look when it was
printed, then worry about how the layout would look for the printed
version, then finally worry about the printing details when it was time
to print.  And getting playback correct for demos etc. has always been a
hassle in Finale and Sibelius, so they broke the playback aspect out
into its own separate mode.

The reason you can't move text while in Write mode is because the
location of things as they will finally appear on the printed page isn't
important when creating music.  We've all been forced to think of layout
issues while working in Finale's or Sibelius's "Page" mode so that often
the way things look on the page distracts us from simply getting the
music into the program.  Dorico separates those issues and users have to
learn not to worry about page layout issues while entering the music.

Interestingly enough, while in Dorico's "Engrave" mode where the user
can worry about the page layout issues, it's very easy to get back into
"Write" mode simply by double-clicking in a measure.

You can playback the score in any of the five modes if you wish because
the playback controls are always visible onscreen.

It is possible to create your layout first and then enter the notes if
you wish.  Or you can simply start entering notes (in the Write mode)
without even entering a time signature or key signature -- just start
getting your thoughts down and then worry about meter and key later.
Dorico will reflow the music and adjust the accidentals to fit meter and
key once you have decided those.  Or you can set them up before entering
any music.

For playback, Dorico makes it so much easier than either Sibelius or
Finale to get into the nitty-gritty of whatever VSL softsynth a user
wants to use so it can be tweaked to get the best playback.  Dorico will
work with most VST3 softsynths and will work with some VST2 softsynths
although getting them to work with Dorico is somewhat arcane.

There is no useful manual at the moment for Dorico -- the built-in help
is not all that helpful, but improvements in both are on the way.  There
is a great forum at steinberg.net which has members of the development
team very actively helping users to solve problems and discover new
things.  I spend 10-20 minutes at the forum every day, which is time I
would have been spending reading the manual anyway.  And they are quick
to respond and by now many users are helping other users as we all
discover things about the program which others haven't discovered yet.

While I am very enthusiastic about Dorico I don't expect it will be
everybody's notation-software cup of tea.  However I urge anybody who
does try Dorico to *not* expect it to be a "new and improved Finale" or
"new and improved Sibelius."  Dorico is very much its own program and as
such it is important for everybody to approach it as a brand new product
and learn how to work with it.  I recall when I first bought Sibelius in
a cross-grade deal (version 2.11 for windows) I was so frustrated by it
because it didn't do things like Finale did.  And I barely used it,
although I did keep upgrading it until finally with version 5 I told
myself to simply sit down with the manual from the very beginning, do
their tutorials, start with very simple projects and gradually increase
their complexity.  Now I start all my new projects in Sibelius because I
like its workflow better than Finale's.

Unlike Dennis I don't find the USB dongle or the soft eLicenser software
to be a problem. Reactivating the software after a disaster is very easy
(I've done it) and only takes a moment or two online, no contact with
steinberg tech support necessary, easier even than trying to get through
to Finale or Sibelius tech support to reactivate a new installation if
your old motherboard or notebook died and you weren't able to deactivate
an old installation before creating a new one.

Dorico is still very much a version 1.0 product, but in the time since
the initial release near the end of October, they have already released
a major update at the end of November (same time they released the free
demo version) with another update promised by the end of this year.

Steinberg is very much committed to Dorico, having allowed the team
three years (I can't recall if it was 3 or 4, but it was a significant
amount of time) to get the first version out the door and supporting the
rapid release of updates as bugs are resolved and new features are
added.  Dorico now supports Expression Maps which are a Cubase feature
that allows the user (or a professional from any of the softsynth
companies) to define exactly what happens sound-wise for any of the
commands a person would want to have affect playback.  Things like
staccato, legato, accents, etc. can be adjusted to the user's standards
easily.  Already-existing Expression Maps from Cubase (there are some
freely downloadable for major softsynths) can be downloaded and imported
into Dorico.

So don't write Dorico off just because it's not a better Finale or
better Sibelius -- give it a test on its own merits and see if you like
it.  Just as there are Finale users who swear at Sibelius and Sibelius
users who swear at Finale when they try to use the competing software,
there will be people who swear at Dorico because it's not in their
comfort zone.  We all just need to have flexible comfort zones -- I can
work well in both Finale and Sibelius (and am fairly fluent in
MuseScore) and am working to be just as much at home in Dorico.  Once
they get the manual completed and offer tutorial projects to help new
users get comfortable with the software it will be much easier for new
users.

--
*****
David H. Bailey