On 8/15/2017 3:14 PM, Michael Dutka wrote:
> Hi, folks. Reviewing a fairly large opera score, about 160 minutes of
> music, and one thing that would be phenomenally helpful is some kind of
> plug-in or app that would let Finale users see every up and down bow, even
> when they're not written in.
>
> The string players I've spoken to don't like it when I write in every
> bowing mark, and ask me only to write them in when they're not obvious. But
> it's easy for me (as a non-string player) to lose track, and possibly write
> in a bad bowing combination, and we all know what working out problems
> during rehearsals with live musicians costs.
>
> Is there any such thing around? Anything one of you brilliant plug-in/app
> writers would want to create? I, for one, would pay a lot of money for
> something like that, and can't think I'm the only one.
>
> Just curious. Thanks,

Give a violin part to 10 violinists to bow and you'll get 10 different
sets of bowing.

There's no single way of bowing that everybody would agree on so no
plug-in would ever work.

The best a plug-in could do would be to indicate alternating up and down
bows on each articulated note in sequence and indicate a single bowing
at the start of a slur.  But I'm not sure why you would want such a
plug-in, since no matter what you indicate the concertmaster will change it.

Best to leave the bowings unmarked unless there is something you
definitely want on an up-bow or a down-bow.  And mark those sparingly.
Leave such things to the people who will be playing the parts.

--
*****
David H. Bailey