Hallo, Jef; thanks for the information you gave.
      You may quite well be right that I lack an understanding of the
fundamental basis on which Finale works.  Do you know if there are any
of the help web pages that explain this basis?
      So far I have found various help pages that explain how to solve
particular problems, with varying degrees of clarity (to me, at least),
but they don't really give much information about that underlying
structure of the software.
      Such a deeper understanding might help me solve problems more
easily, so any pointers to where I can find this would be helpful.
      Thank you.

Michael Edwards.