Let's say you are in 4/4 time and want to do a rhythm that is
8th-quarter-quarter-quarter-8th.  Most people consider it incorrect for
a quarter to span the half bar. You can set the rule in Dorico that
notes cannot span half-bars. In that case, the middle quarter would
automatically be changed to a pair of 8ths, tied.  And if you decided to
delete the beginning 8th to put everything on the beat, Dorico would
automatically re-combine those 8ths into a quarter because it no longer
spans the half bar.  Basically Dorico treats the presentation as a
separate function from the note itself, with the presentation managed
automatically based on the context.  You would rarely have to concern
yourself with beaming or ties.  It is all automatic. You can override if
you really want to, but usually it is best to let the program apply the
conventional rules automatically.

I had another case where Finale degrades from release to release. At one
point, the cautionary accidentals plug-in started producing completely
wrong results (related to transpositions as I recall). They eventually
fixed that, I think, but then it became evident that anytime you ran
that plug-in, it could mess up the beaming and ties for measures
completely out of the plug-in range.  This is the sort of thing that is
extremely tedious in Finale -- wastes hours of time, and it just can't
happen in Dorico because of the operation I described above.