Where having minimal files helps a lot is when you have to add or remove
measures after the fact. Then opening a modifying 2 files is much easier
than modifying 30. Btw: I still use 2 files for some projects, but only for
large ensembles with parts doubled up on single lines in the score. For
these projects, parts that can stay inside the file with the score and I
only maintain the ones I have to separately. Usually this means percussion,
keyboards, and string parts are in the file with the score and the wws and
brass parts are separate.