David Bailey said: "it stacks the articulations as it feels they ought to
be."

Actually, it stacks the articulations based on their order in the
Articulation Selection dialog box. If you want them to stack in a different
order, you can change their order in the list and they will automatically
stack in the new order. This may or may not be behavior that is desirable,
but it can be exploited if you understand it.