If possible, this question is for those fond of the theoretical aspect of
music. Not merely related to Finale, although I thought that this list’s
opinion could favour some remarkable responses.
How would you define, in a generic way, a set of notes to be used for composing
a melody? For example, how could  C,D,E,G,A - forming a pentatonic scale - or
C,D,E,F,G - forming a major pentachord - or A#,B,C - forming a cromatic
trichord - be commonly defined ? I can’t find a satisfying definition: 'melodic
structure’ implies aspects more related to the architechture of the
composition, ‘series' implies a set of sounds to be taken in a particular
order. “Ah! vous dirai-je, maman” is composed using the first six notes of a
major scale, thus forming an hexachord, but how would it generally be defined?

Giovanni

————

Giovanni Andreani

www.giovanniandreani.com