On 12/14/2018 4:50 AM, Giovanni Andreani wrote:
If possible, this question is for those fond of the theoretical aspect of
music. Not merely related to Finale, although I thought that this list’s
opinion could favour some remarkable responses.
How would you define, in a generic way, a set of notes to be used for composing
a melody? For example, how could  C,D,E,G,A - forming a pentatonic scale - or
C,D,E,F,G - forming a major pentachord - or A#,B,C - forming a cromatic
trichord - be commonly defined ? I can’t find a satisfying definition: 'melodic
structure’ implies aspects more related to the architechture of the
composition, ‘series' implies a set of sounds to be taken in a particular
order. “Ah! vous dirai-je, maman” is composed using the first six notes of a
major scale, thus forming an hexachord, but how would it generally be defined?

Possibly "melodic material." But that gives no real idea about what's included other than to indicate that the set of notes is what the melody is built from. If that's what you're looking for, I guess it would work.

To what use to you hope to put whatever you decide is the best suggestion?

--
*****
David H. Bailey