Hi David,

I wrote: 'I see that many people (and increasingly so) likes to allow software (or maybe, other people) to do things ready for them'. The music software market (admittedly, 'a very tiny niche of a niche market') is only a small, and perhaps negligeable, part of a very general trend; but perhaps what happens in this tiny-tiny niche could be symptomatic. Just now, people is influenced in their decisions (but also ideas and opinion) by datas sent0 from (other) computers (but people often forgot that behind that computer there is always a man, and often is a company); and the demand for 'ready made solutions' is increasing everywhere, I think.

When I approached this - very general - trend to 'something Italy (and other countries as well) has suffered some decades ago', it was by 'similarity' of course, not by 'identity'.

Btw: I don't know really if all of the music softwares you quote 'forces anybody to accept the result "out of the box" with no changes possible'; Finale surely does, Sibelius perhaps (I've never used it to its full potential), others that you have mentioned... I do not think. A revelatory sign is the possibility of using different fonts - not only the one(s) supplied by the producer of the software - with ease, and even in the very same score (or project).

all best,

Paolo