Begin forwarded message:

From: Elan Shapiro <elan...@ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us>
Date: February 10, 2009 10:31:23 AM EST
To: sustainabletompk...@lists.mutualaid.org, sustainabil...@icsun.ithaca.edu , tc-hs...@cornell.edu
Subject: Justice & Sustainability in Our Schools-  2/12  Program Notes

Thu Feb 12 Community Gathering, 6:00 - 8:30 PM Unitarian Church Annex
Justice & Sustainability In Our Schools.
Dinner & Childcare Provided

Sustainable Tompkins invites you to a monthly gathering on "Justice and Sustainability in Our Schools" on Thursday, February 12, from 6:00 - 8:30 PM at the Annex of the Unitarian Church, on 208 E. Buffalo St. near Aurora St., in downtown Ithaca.

The free event will focus on justice and sustainability initiatives in our schools, what they have in common, and how citizens can support these vital but rarely linked efforts. The evening will begin with a dinner that includes many local foods. Additional potluck offerings are encouraged and participants are also encouraged to bring their own table settings to minimize the clean up. Childcare is provided but please RSVP for this.

Here's the program:

Dinner 6:00

Short Presentations and Inspiring Videos 6:30-7:30

***Justice & Sustainability in our Schools: What's the Connection?
Ana Goldsmith & Tina Nilsen-Hodges
***Green Guerillas - Youth Speak Out on Social Justice and Sustainability - Ana Goldsmith & Green Guerilla Members

***Making Connections: Whole Community Project and Health Equity in our Schools - Jemila Sequeira (Whole Community Project) and Judy Hoffman (ICSD Head Nurse)

***Food Equity and School Gardens - Dan Flerlage (Teachers for Sustainable Future & LACS ) and Christine Porter (Whole Community Project)

***Building Community Across Differences- Karen Friedeborn (Equity & Inclusion Leadership Council, Ithaca Youth Bureau) and Tessa Friedeborn & Allison Lewis (IHS, College Discovery Program) ***New Roots Charter School - Building on national models for Social Justice and Sustainability Education - Tina Nilsen-Hodges

Learning/Action Circles: 7:30 - 8:10
Engage in smaller groups on one or more of the above projects and topics, with presenters facilitating the discussion and, where relevant, the strategizing of next steps

Large group sharing & Wrap up 8:10-8:30 How we can support these and other initiatives ?

For more information, to reserve childcare, or for disability accommodations, contact Elan Shapiro, at e...@sustainabletompkins.org, 607-275-0249.

This event is the last in the monthly "Equity and Sustainability" series organized by Sustainable Tompkins, a citizen-based organization dedicated to promoting a more just and sustainable community. www.sustainabletompkins.org

--

"From the perspective of `transformative learning,' the fundamental educational task of our times is to make the choice for a sustainable planetary habitat of interdependent life forms over and against the pathos of the global competitive marketplace." -Edmund O'Sullivan