> On Jun 22, 2017, at 23:22, David Fass <daf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> I have 2 'stupid' ideas to propose, since this doesn't seem to be an obvious
> fix.
>
> First one:
> Use sudo or su and move /sw to something like /sw2 to keep it safe
> and then reinstall fink and selfupdate it.
> Perhaps, maybe, something went wrong in the process before and it got
> corrupted...
> At least this way you can test whether this is a Fink error or something more
> local.
>
> I know, when I was installing Fink, I had to replace Apple's tar with a
> different version of tar just to get it to work…

We generally don’t recommend replacing anything in the system area.

> Second one:
> A tad more drastic is to create a new user and reinstall fink.
>
> I'm not a Fink expert, but, what can it hurt to try my ideas..

I’ve got a quick idea you might try first.

Try using “fink reinstall tar dpkg” to reinstall tar and dpkg from their
archives on your system, if present, and then try another build.  That could
_potentially_ fix the issue if it so happens that a file has become corrupted.
It might also give us an additional data point if you get a similar failure.

You might also go ahead and try adding a user account without doing anything to
your Fink tree yet,  and then log in and run /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh on that
account.  I don’t have high hopes for this, since almost everything that Fink
does is run either as root or as the fink-bld unprivileged user, but it’s a
relatively quick thing to try.

If you do go with the archive and reinstall option, and it finishes
successfully, and the selfupdate process doesn’t actually update any packages
(unlikely), then try to install a package.  If that doesn’t work, or if you
aren’t able to do the install,  then the issue is probably somewhere in your
system area.
--
Alexander Hansen, Ph.D.
Fink User Liaison