> On Jun 23, 2017, at 09:28, Thomas Scharkowski <t.scharkow...@t-online.de>
> wrote:
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>>> On Jun 22, 2017, at 23:22, David Fass <daf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have 2 'stupid' ideas to propose, since this doesn't seem to be an
>>> obvious fix.
>>>
>>> First one:
>>> Use sudo or su and move /sw to something like /sw2 to keep it safe
>>> and then reinstall fink and selfupdate it.
>>> Perhaps, maybe, something went wrong in the process before and it got
>>> corrupted...
>>> At least this way you can test whether this is a Fink error or something
>>> more local.
>>>
>>> I know, when I was installing Fink, I had to replace Apple's tar with a
>>> different version of tar just to get it to work…
>>>
>> We generally don’t recommend replacing anything in the system area.
>>> Second one:
>>> A tad more drastic is to create a new user and reinstall fink.
>>>
>>> I'm not a Fink expert, but, what can it hurt to try my ideas..
>>>
>> I’ve got a quick idea you might try first.
>> Try using “fink reinstall tar dpkg” to reinstall tar and dpkg from their
>> archives on your system, if present, and then try another build.  That could
>> _potentially_ fix the issue if it so happens that a file has become
>> corrupted. It might also give us an additional data point if you get a
>> similar failure.
>> You might also go ahead and try adding a user account without doing anything
>> to your Fink tree yet,  and then log in and run /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh on that
>> account.  I don’t have high hopes for this, since almost everything that
>> Fink does is run either as root or as the fink-bld unprivileged user, but
>> it’s a relatively quick thing to try.
>> If you do go with the archive and reinstall option, and it finishes
>> successfully, and the selfupdate process doesn’t actually update any
>> packages (unlikely), then try to install a package.  If that doesn’t work,
>> or if you aren’t able to do the install,  then the issue is probably
>> somewhere in your system area.
>
> I have tried all suggestions without success. Is it time to give up?

Unfortunately, it may be.  I think we’ve been able to rule out anything
internal to the Fink distribution.  Maybe a final check on the permissions?

Fionna-4:~ hansen$ ls -ld / /sw/ /sw/src
drwxr-xr-x  41 root wheel  1462 Jun 22 17:10 /
drwxr-xr-x  15 root wheel   510 Nov  3  2016 /sw/
drwxr-xr-x 393 root wheel 13362 Jun 22 13:24 /sw/src