Hi folks,

it would be nice if we could finally switch over to the new dpkg version. In
the last couple weeks I spent some effort on taking TheSin's and Sjor's work
and polishing it up, resulting in a rebasd version of the changes. I also just
upgraded my own system to use the new dpkg, acting as a guinea pig. It would be
awesome if more people could (a) review and / or (b) test this code. You can
find it here:

  https://github.com/fink/fink/pull/79

Note that there is a bunch of things left to do, but most should be fairly
minor... see the last comment on that pull request by me, with a bunch of TODOs
and questions. Any contributions are welcome. I think we should be ready to
merge this very soon now, perhaps even this weekend.

Next, there is some work towards making fink compatible with Mac OS X 10.9. We
should work on getting that ready before they actually release it! And since
many people might install a fresh fink then, it would actually be awesome if we
had the new dpkg in by that time, too! See here:

   https://github.com/fink/fink/pull/83

Note that there are a few rough edges on that. And it will have merge conflicts
with the dpkg branch, as it also touches dpkg.info, but that should be easy to
resolve.

Finally, there are reports that the new Xcode 5 does not include CVS anymore...
If you already have CVS, it won't be removed, but new installs don't get it.
This is yet another strong reason for switching for getting selfupdate-svn and
selfupdate-git ready! And perhaps get it out of the door in time for 10.9, too?
If you want to help with that, please take a look at

  https://github.com/fink/fink/pull/78

Cheers,
Max