David:

Hmm, well note that I'm not touching or sourcing any of the ~/.cshrc
files.  The entire shell script that I'm sourcing is here:

[localhost:share/init/tcsh] mat% more init.csh

set path = ( /sw/bin /sw/sbin $path /usr/X11R6/bin )

if ( $?MANPATH) then
  setenv MANPATH /sw/share/man:/sw/man:${MANPATH}:/usr/X11R6/man
else
  setenv MANPATH
/sw/share/man:/sw/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/
share/man:/usr/X11R6/man
endif

if ( $?DISPLAY) then
  echo "Your X11 server is set to set to display:" $DISPLAY
else
  setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0
endif

So its basically only doing three things:
 1. making sure that gimp will be in the path
 2. making sure the man pages will be available
 3. setting display to run on localhost

fink already does these things so if a MacGIMP-installer user installs
the fink, there's a fair amount that's redundant.

Quite frankly, I'm ready to give up on Apple's pkg stuff.  The only thing
it has to offer at this point is a GUI installation method, which, from
reading the mailing lists, it looks like the fink will have at some point
in the not-too-distant future.  (yes, I realize that there is some
disagreement on this point, but there was enough interest that I'm
confident it will occur.  The best part about this is that with a fink
GUI, you could uninstall, and Apple makes this almost completely
impossible since they haven't documented the receipts, among other
things.)

Maybe I should be spending my time working on a GUI for fink.  If anyone
is already working on that, can you email me?  I'd like to help out.

I still find that a year after OS X is available, Apple's lack of
leadership in a rational packaging system is astounding.

Mat