Hi again Max.

I was looking more closely at a shared library example in Debian, and it
appears that they use a similar trick to what you've just done with zlib:
they divide the files between the packages like this:

Package foo contains:
  /sw/lib/foo.N.x.y.dylib
  /sw/lib/foo.N.dylib -> /sw/lib/foo.N.x.y.dylib

Package foo-devel contains:
  /sw/include/foo.h
  /sw/lib/foo.a
  /sw/lib/foo.dylib -> /sw/lib/foo.N.dylib

The idea is, whenever you are compiling a new package you have the
appropriate foo-devel installed.  This *should* mean that the library
which the new package is linked against is recorded as /sw/lib/foo.N.dylib
If you are careful, no package should ever be looking for a dynamically
linked library which is recorded as /sw/lib/foo.dylib  Also, if you choose
to include a static library you will only need it around when someone
is compiling.

This system avoids the conflicts we were observing last night.

However, I am a bit worried about it since I don't understand what just
happened with the new zlib (see my other message).

  -- Dave