At 18:11 Uhr -0500 02.02.2002, David R. Morrison wrote:
>Hmmmm... I'm confused about the dependency relationships between foo-shlibs
>and foo (using your terminology, Max).
>
>Do we say that foo depends on foo-shlibs?  I guess that is OK; foo-shlibs
>is going to have to load the entire source to get built, anyway, so there
>is no point in have it BuildDepends on foo (which is what I was thinking
>would happen).

In fact, what I was saying was that both are built *at the same
time*. I.e. one build process is done. But in the end, some files are
extraced, and put into a seperated package (foo-shlib).

>There is one other issue:  sometimes, there are a bunch of auxiliary
>files which belong to a particular version of the library, and which
>could get stored in /sw/lib/foo/N/ or in /sw/share/foo/N/.  As long
>as the N is there, these can go in the foo-shlibs package, right?
>And in many cases they should  So the syntax of the Shlibs: field will need
>to allow for this.

Yeah you are right.
That's why Kyle is correct when he says that a new package format
would ease all of this :)

>The DocFiles, or anything in /sw/share/doc/%n, should also go in the
>foo-shlibs package.

Aye.

>   (In fact, I would be in favor of the following rule:
>if you are using the Shlibs: field, then you put all the documentation
>in /sw/share/doc/foo-shlibs, and you do not create /sw/share/doc/foo.
>WHOOPS - see below.)
>
>I would suggest, maybe, a list of files that are supposed to get moved
>from foo to foo-shlibs for installation.  Anything put in by DocFiles
>would be included, as well as whatever we list in Shlibs.  The one tricky
>part is that DocFiles has been interpreted as creating a single directory
>with all of the files in it, but with Shlibs we need to preserve the
>heierarchy.
>
>So, for example:
>
>Shlibs: <<
>  %i/lib/foo.1.2.3.dylib
>  %i/lib/foo.1.dylib
>  %i/lib/foo/1/*
>  %i/share/doc/%n/*
><<
>
>(It's clear what fink is supposed to do here... InfoFiles and Daemonic
>would belong to foo, not foo-shlibs, I think.)

The LICENSE/COPYING/whatever file should be in both packages, ultimatly.

>The WHOOPS above is this: the value of %n is foo, not foo-shlibs.  So I
>think that we are creating %i/share/doc/%n not %i/share/doc/%n-shlibs.
>Either that, or we have to duplicate the documentation between the
>two packages, which seems silly.

I am not sure if this is silly. Sure, duplicating a full manual is
silly, but when it comes to license/readme files, I think that would
be could.

So my suggestion would be to simply install all files from DocFiles
into both packages. This way we don't have to worry about %n either
etc. Seems pretty elegant to me in fact :)

>  Or else rename %i/share/doc/%n to
>%i/share/doc/%n-shlibs during the move, which sounds dangerous.

Would be dangerous, I agree.

Max