I don't disagree with the logic.  But unfortunately, if you did this
for a package that already existed and that some other package already
depended on, then everybody's installations would break unless you
got all maintainers of the other packages to upgrade them at exactly
the same time you upgraded.

In the case of libpng, there were more than 40 packages that depended on
it.  I've managed to get some of them changed, but a lot of them will
be waiting until the maintainers have time.

If we had made this change a long time ago, we would have been able to
use more logical names.

  -- Dave