On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 12:52 , Max Horn wrote:

> At 22:32 Uhr +0100 11.02.2002, Martin Costabel wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>>  > nsmith> packages, but it's still quite a few thousand files.  Does
>>>  > anyone know
>>>  > nsmith> what the default maximum number of inodes is in OS X?
>>> This is a
>>>  > nsmith> pretty fundamental limit on what a user can do with fink--
>>> and
>>
>> Let's see some numbers: "df -i" gives me the exact same percentage of
>> used inodes as "df -k" for the used blocks, and this on any partition I
>> can find. It seems that there is roughly 1 inode per 4 kB. On a 4GB
>> partition that is 90% full, I still see more than 100000 inodes
>> available. So I cannot see how you manage to run out of inodes. Or is
>> this a UFS partition?
>
> I would bet it is on a UFS partition. On HFS+ there is no such thing as
> inodes, and indeed, for me the percentages are equal in "df -k" and "df
> -i", too.

I have a an OS 9 HFS+ and 2 UFS on one disk, and an OS X HFS+ on my
other disk, here is the pertinent info:
Filesystem      Capacity        Iused   Format  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s9    5%              5%              HFS+    /
/dev/disk1s9    15%             15%             HFS+    /Volumes/Mac OS 9.2.1
/dev/disk1s10   7%              0%              UFS             /Volumes/UNIX_ROOT
/dev/disk1s11   3%              0%              UFS             /Volumes/UNIX_HOMES

I don't see how you could run out of Inodes on a UFS disk, since the
actual counts on mine are:
IUsed   IFree
35729   4075117
10703   4108079
For the unix partitions

Maybe you should try this:
1.      Reboot the computer and immediately hold down Cmd-Opt-S
2.      Type fsck -y and press enter
3.      Wait until done
4.      Repeat steps 2-3 until no more problems show up ( I have seen some
cases with errors so serious that one round didn't get them all )
5.      Type reboot and your inode problem should be fixed

IMHO,
Kyle Moffett