Martin Costabel wrote:
> I suppose Dave has libxpg4 installed. It has this effect.
> libxpg4 sets the environment variable DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE, which
> will break any binary that is compiled with twolevel_namespace (the
> default) and has multiply defined symbols. I'd expect there are many
> more binaries concerned.

Yes, I did have libxpg4 installed, and I can verify that removing it
worked. I believe Fink's version of cvs also has/had this problem with
libxpg4, I don't have it installed now so I can't verify.

I suggest that packages that are susceptible to this bug should add
libxpg4 as a conflict. Longer-term, it would make sense to build them
with a flat namespace if possible, or if not to wrap the binaries with a
shell script that unsets DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE and removes
/sw/lib/xpg4/libxpg4.dylib from DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES.

Thanks for your help!

Dave