At 3:37 Uhr -0700 30.04.2002, Ben Hines wrote:
>At 10:25 AM +0200 4/30/02, Bernd Kuemmerlen wrote:
>>
>>As this has been discussed on this list last week, maybe someone with a
>>little bit more insight on this issue might comment on this on
>>macosxhints?
>>Maybe a hint on how to update passwd before 0.4.1 is out?
>

>Sigh.. I said we should have done a .4.0a just to fix this.

<sarcasm>
Oops, sorry I completely missed you volunteered to do all the release
work, cool. Go ahead and release 0.4.0a, please. I am glad you have
enough time to cope with all the details involved etc. Thanks for
volunteering, I am eager to see 0.4.0a! When can we expect you to
announce the release?
</sarcasm>

Seriously, I am not a machine!
And I have no time to make yet another release so soon. It's not a
thing you "just do quickly", a full relase (even a "minor" one like
this) takes a lot of time, it has to be done with great care and
various factors have to be considered (like for example stable
changed a lot since then. Which changes should be incorporated, which
not?). No way that I make a new Fink release, even a "minor" one in
the next few weeks.

But I do realize that it's risky if we depend too much on me for
making releases. Not only is it a problem should I leave Fink (very
well possible), but it's also a problem now since it taxes me a lot.
Less so compared to when Chrisp left us, since I sat down and wrote
some docs (based on instructions Christoph mailed me, and based on my
own findings) for the dist tools. Dunno if anybody ever read them, so
maybe they are crap, but since I never got feedback on them, there's
nothing I can do about it...

So, I'd appreciate if some people would work together with me on the
next release. I'd be willing to teach what I know about the release
process. E.g. they could follow me doing the 0.4.1 release, and learn
from this how to do it. Any such watcher could also try to augment
the docs I wrote based on his learnings, filling its gaps. Note that
you must be willing to be around for 1-2 days.

FYI, you must distinguish between preparation of the release
(includes testing all sorts of things), the actual release, and the
bindist update, which are really three different things, the first of
them taking the most resources.

>I figured at least one more user would hose their install. And yep.
>
>I put a note on there saying how to get the new passwd from fink.

Thanks for this.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer