Here are my thoughts (on the original message and Max's followup):

How hard would it be to modify things so that everything was installed into
  libs/kde-2.0/
rather than libs/ ?  (I chose a random version number, of course you should
use the actual one.)  If this can be done without too much trouble, it would
solve the problem.  Of course, it will mean than any package which wants
to link to these libs will need an extra flag to indicate /sw/libs/kde-2.0
as a library directory.

Short of that, I agree with Max: there won't be much point in splitting it
up.

  -- Dave