At 4:51 PM -0400 5/21/02, AdvertisingDept wrote:
>Total newbie attempting to package tn5250 for Fink.

The advertisingdept is compiling now?? ack! I know programemers are
getting laid off, but this is rediculous! :) <-- joke

>Problem 1)  semi-solved
>compile error
>tn5250-private.h:36: header file 'malloc.h' not found
>
>the makefile assumes the header will be in /usr/local/include/
>Darwin&BSD store their libraries in /usr/include/sys/
>
>I cheated and made a symbolic link to the BSD location
>    #ln -s /usr/include/sys/malloc.h  /usr/local/include/

I made this mistake too, but this is wrong. You can usually just get
rid of the malloc.h include. It is obsolete. The <sys/malloc.h>
header is for kernel development only.

>Problem 2)  semi-solved
>compile error
>stream.h:30: header file 'openssl/ssl.h' not found
>
>Since openssl is required to compile, I install fink's openssl.
>The file still won't compile because it is expecting the file in a
>different location.
>
>I cheat again and make a symbolic link to the Fink location for openssl
>    #ln -s /sw/include/openssl  /usr/include/openssl

This is also wrong, bad. :) Usually you set your CFLAGS to be
-I/sw/include to get the proper include directory in there, like:

setenv CFLAGS -I/sw/include
./configure --prefix=/sw
make

should (usually!) do the trick.

>Problem 3)
>compile error
>cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -DSYSCONFDIR=\"/sw/etc\" -g -O2 -c
>buffer.c -Wp,-MD,.deps/buffer.TPlo  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/buffer.lo
>/usr/include/curses.h:107: illegal external declaration, missing `;'
>after `*'
>cpp-precomp: warning: errors during smart preprocessing, retrying in
>basic mode
>In file included from tn5250-private.h:93,
>                  from buffer.c:22:
>/usr/include/curses.h:107: parse error before `0x13'
>make[2]: *** [buffer.lo] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

When you get "cpp-precomp" warnings, you can usually get rid of them
by adding -no-cpp-precomp to your CFLAGS. So your CFLAGS now should
be:

setenv CFLAGS "-I/sw/include -no-cpp-precomp"

You should probably take the time to learn about how all this works,
by reading the autobook at http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/ . A
newbie should be able to understand enough of it to be dangerous, if
not all of it. :)

good luck,

-Ben
--