Compile Success!! Many thanks to ALL!!!

Of course, now I have to figure out how to configure
the emulated 5250 terminal to cooperate with our IBM AS400 setup.
;<

For any Newbie following this thread as an example
Here's a compilation of what I had to do. . .

  Obtain the source of the project I wanted to compile.

  Read the instructions the author included for compilation.

  Try the instructions and get a slew of compile errors;
  one of them indicates that I don't have openSSL installed.
  (Ignore the fact that Apple installs an openSSL variant)

     Fink install openssl

  ISSUE the following commands to make the compilation
  compatible with Fink & MacOSX:

     setenv CFLAGS "-I/sw/include -no-cpp-precomp"
        ###you have to put the options in quotes
        ###because setenv only takes one argument
        ###and I'm trying to set two

     setenv LDFLAGS -L/sw/lib

     ./configure --prefix=/sw

     make

     make install

Hurrah! the project compiled & installed.
Now go try it out.

Finally, go read the Fink Packaging Manual and pull all your hair out
as you attempt to follow libjpeg package as an example.
;>

The "Goat" book  covering the GNU AutoBuild tools
at http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/
should definitely have a link on the Fink Web Site.