Last week, I tried to write a quick utility that would preen the cruft
from my /sw/src directory.  You know, those distros that are no longer
needed.  I thought "no problem... a simple Perl script accessing the
Fink::* classes will suffice".

I was wrong.  After about a dozen false starts, I still don't have a
working program.  The classes are underdocumented, and the ones I
figured out by example seem to have hidden dependencies, either on
initialization, or needing to be run as root.  (Why does something
that only wants to *look* at things need to be root?)

Out of my frustration, I gave up.

Since I know a little about Perl {grin}, and "fink" has made my world
rock, I'd like to rewrite the "fink" perl tool by refactoring the
classes and command utility in a more documented, tested, and reusable
way, as my way of contributing back to the fink project.  My plan
would be to create Test::More-based object-oriented modules so that
regression tests can be run to assist with future maintainence and
debugging.

1) is anyone already planning this?

2) does anyone else share my pain?

3) if I take this on, who of you might want to help me?

Respond to the list or to me.  Thanks.