Jeremy> Well, one could write a flag "--ignore-pm" that would simply direct
Jeremy> fink not to check for the presence of a -pm type package. The fink
Jeremy> program would then assume that the user had already resolved the
Jeremy> dependency before hand. The system-perl package would make this
Jeremy> "ignore-pm" flag the default.

Yeah, now we're getting somewhere.

Jeremy> Since all of the packages currently bear the "Type:perl" designation,
Jeremy> this shouldn't be too difficult to implement :)

Hmm.  My earlier proposal to rewrite Fink from the ground up would
certainly tackle this.  Unfortunately, I'm recovering from a Q3 and Q4
loss, so every odd ounce of time I've got is spent doing marketing and
sales right now so that Q1 doesn't end up in the same toilet.