On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Max Horn wrote:

> At 5:52 Uhr -0700 01.02.2003, jeff whitaker wrote:
> >Ben:  Thanks for the update.  I'm somewhat at a loss of how to proceed
> >with a 4.3.0 package.  Since it contains thread support, it should replace
> >both xfree86-base and xfree86-base-threaded.  At the same time, I'd like
> >to merge the -base and -rootless variants.  So, the new package should
> >replace xfree86-base, -base-threaded, -rootless and -rootless-threaded.
> >Unfortunately, with all the intertwined dependencies I think this is
> >impossible.  So, I think we may have to resort to telling people to use
> >the dreaded "dpkg -r --force-depends" in order to make this transition.
> >Have you found a way around this with your experimental package?
>
> You analysis is right, this is impossible. I tried it (and you, too)
> some time after chrisp left, and already then (with only two
> packages) it was impossible, without --force-depends.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Max

Max et al:  Can you think of a way to automate the "dpkg -r
--force-depends" when upgrading to xfree86-4.3.0?  Is there any way for
fink to pass these arguments to dpkg?  Perhaps it could be done in the
preinst script?

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        FAX   : (303)497-6449