On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 06:36 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

Peter O'Gorman wrote:

I'd guess that there is a static constructor somewhere in one of the other objects which gets called before main() and does something odd

You had the right idea: As it turns out, the crash does not happen in the main program at all, as I thought before, but inside a static constructor long before main() is run. The precise line in the scribus code is

scribus/scfonts_encoding.cpp:23: if (tf.open(IO_ReadOnly))

It seems that Qt's QFile::open method works differently whether it is run in main() or from a static constructor. Why this would be so, and who is to blame, Qt or Darwin, is way beyond my non-existing C++ knowledge.

I guess dyld hasn't bound the c++ mangled symbol "open" from Qt at this point, so it crashes.
I don't recall if you posted scribus's link line, is the -bind_at_load flag passed to ld?

Peter