On Jan 6, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Max Horn wrote:

After all, relatives of a package can't (and mustn't) be build dependencies of the package, since they are built at *exactly the same time*. So it wouldn't even make sense to have such a dependency (I can imagine some situations where people would *want* such a thing, because e.g. a pkg builds differently if it is already installed; however, this is a bug in the package, and nothing that could or should be fixed by hacks to the dependency engine).

I fully agree; was my understanding too.
Still would want an explanation why some people thought it necessary/usefull.

More specifically, when the current version of ffmpeg came up, I emailed the maintainer,
before even running the package, "How can this ever work ? _ Or: what does it mean ?" :
the pkg had a BuildDepends on 2 of its own splits. The answer I got was basically
"Don't worry _ it'll work out, and has to be this way".

Justin _ can you explain what you had in mind ?
(and probably adapt ffmpeg to the new situation ...)

Best,

Jean-Francois