On Jan 26, 2004, at 9:13 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Message: 6
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:03:53 -0500
From: "David R. Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: .app's in Fink (was Re: [Fink-devel] CFD: Installing Frameworks from fink packages)
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In my view, the main reason for doing this is that there already exists
software out there which on the one hand depends on UNIX libraries which
are (or should be) part of Fink, but on the other hand is packaged in
OS X form, as an .app bundle which uses a Cocoa interface.

Either all of the Unix libs have to be stuck inside the bundle, requiring
much duplication, or this .app bundle needs to have a way to link to
(and be sure of the existence of) some underlying UNIX libs. I think
that allowing that second possibility would be very worthwhile, and
would be a good way to use the Fink infrastructure which already exists.

I would like to add my voice to this opinion; I would very much like to make PLT's DrScheme (www.plt-scheme.org) available as a fink package. The principal obstacle to this has been the fact that we produce DrScheme in an '.app' flavor, using Frameworks to store shared code, which has heretofore been 'fink-unfriendly.' For this reason, I strongly support the inclusion of '.app's and Frameworks in fink packages.

Respectfully yours,

john clements