On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:40:37PM +1300, Nigel Stanger wrote:
> On 12/2/2004 10:22 AM, Daniel Macks at [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake thus:
>
> > For the Depends logic, I think the bleh-or-blah would not be a very
> > common occurance. More often (at least in the situations I can think
> > of) is "bleh only if [something]" *or* "blah only if not [something]".
> > Having to conjure up a "nox" package just to make the logic work
> > bothers me. But if people think if/then/else is the way to go...
>

> If you don't put it in, you can guarantee someone will promptly come
> up with a package that requires it :)
>
>     Depends: perl = 5.8.1 ? bleh.pm : blah.pm
>     Depends: X = yes ? x11 :
> or:
>     Depends: X = yes ? x11 : %null
>
> where "%null" (or "%none" or whatever) is a special token to indicate "no
> package". I put a % on the front to avoid the problem of a package that's
> actually named "null".

The much more common case that I can think of doesn't use else, and
those two solutions still look kinda convoluted. while if/then/else
could be useful in some cases, I'd rather not clutter up the syntax
for these less common situations. If we allow comparison operators
other than just =, we don't even need else at all:

  Depends: (perl == 5.8.1) bleh.pm, (perl != 5.8.1) blah.pm

dan

--
Daniel Macks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]