On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Daniel E. Macks wrote:

Okay, two layout options now. Both now have more familiar (to users)
terms in the headings and clearer structure. The first is just
improvements to the visual layout and headings:

 http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/passwd.html
Looks a bit too busy perhaps.

I think the use of cell padding makes it easy to understand where cells start and stop without cluttering things up (see below). You find your system on the left column and then just scan along the line to find your available version(s).

The second moves back a bit towards the original and keeps clear
"stable" and "unstable" divisions, but logically groups the various
dists:

 http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package2.php/passwd
Looks clean visually and clear content-wise. Maybe this is the way to go?

I actually think this makes it difficult to tell what the difference is between '0.7.0' and 'cvs/rsync' because there's no line between them. At first glance it seemed to me that the single table cell read '0.7.0[newline]cvs/rsync'. I tried putting a line between them, but then it looks clumsy.

Also, in the 2nd example, all the point distros (0.7.0, 0.6.3, 0.4.1) show 'not present' for unstable in the passwd example used. If I understand correctly, the binary distributions never have an unstable version, so the 2nd example will always have extraneous cells showing 'not present'.

Finally, perhaps CVS should not be mentioned in the final layout since rsync is the recommended update method now? Although CVS update is still available, normal updaters aren't supposed to use it, and those that have a need for it should hopefully already understand what they need. If space allows, '(rsync?) Source Distribution' contrasts nicely with 'Binary Distribution".

Hanspeter

--
"The great tragedy of science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis
by an ugly fact."

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net email is sponsored by Shop4tech.com-Lowest price on Blank Media 100pk Sonic DVD-R 4x for only $29 -100pk Sonic DVD+R for only $33 Save 50% off Retail on Ink & Toner - Free Shipping and Free Gift. http://www.shop4tech.com/z/Inkjet_Cartridges/9_108_r285 _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel