Hi Martin,

On Aug 19, 2004, at 4:17 PM, Martin Costabel wrote:

Martin Costabel wrote:
[]
Yes, I think it is a bug in the new fink.
In SelfUpdate.pm, the line
next unless ($tree =~ /stable/);
was changed to
next unless ($tree eq "stable" or $tree eq "unstable");
But $tree is typically something like "stable/crypto", so this never matches. This was added 6 weeks ago, but since developers never use selfupdate-rsync, it was not noticed until the CVS HEAD hit the streets :-)
Bug author CCed.

Thinking about this some more, it looks now like a major catastrophe to me. If I am not mistaken, people who have the new fink cannot rsync-selfupdate any more. In particular, they won't get any fixed fink automatically.

We need to define a method how to fix this (supposing fink is fixed first) and then to announce it, perhaps even on the web page. People will have to
- either fix their SelfUpdate.pm by hand
- or download a fixed SelfUpdate.pm and install it
- or temporarily switch to selfupdate-cvs
- or something else

I guess most users will still have the deb file from the previous fink version on their computers. Why not recommend immediately to downgrade to the previous version using dpkg?

Just my 2 cents.

Remi

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Q: How many kinds of physicists are there? A: Three. Those who can count and those who can't.

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of California, Irvine       URL:    http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC                             voice:        ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35                fax:        ++1 (650) 926-3882
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US              home:        ++1 (650) 233-9041