On Nov 4, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Alexander K. Hansen wrote:

Modify how Octave builds? .... hmmm, depends upon perspective (meaning I'm not sure).

The presence of SuiteSparse doesn't modify how Octave builds any more than the packages for fftw, qhull, readline5, gnuplot, etc. Octave would build and function fine (except for the absent functionality) ... actually ... it *would* build and function if not for the dependencies stated in octave.info.

There is no need to modify octave.info or octave.patch (names?) in order for SuiteSparse components to be included in Octave's functionality. When SuiteSparse is installed, Octave's usual configure process will recognize that SuiteSparse is available and produce a makefile that links to it.

When Octave is configured, the *present* process produced this snippet ...

----------------------
Octave is now configured for i386-apple-darwin

  Source directory:     .
  Installation prefix:  /sw
  C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-fp  -Wall -W -Wshadow -g -O2
C++ compiler: g++ -mieee-fp -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold- style-cast -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:     /sw/bin/g95 -O2 -mieee-fp
Fortran libraries: -L/sw/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i386-apple- darwin8/4.0.3 -lf95
  BLAS libraries:        -framework vecLib
  FFTW libraries:       -lfftw3
  GLPK libraries:       -lglpk
  UMFPACK libraries:
  AMD libraries:
  CAMD libraries:
  COLAMD libraries:
  CCOLAMD libraries:
  CHOLMOD libraries:
  CXSPARSE libraries:
  HDF5 libraries:       -lhdf5
  CURL libraries:       -lcurl
  REGEX libraries:      -lpcre
  QHULL libraries:      -lqhull
  LIBS:                 -lreadline  -lncurses -lhdf5 -lz -lm
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot

When SuiteSparse is present, the missing modules (UMFPACK, AMD, CAMD, COLAMD, CCOLAMD, CHOLMOD, and CXSPARSE) are found and linked to during the build.

My impression is that SuiteSparse is usually included in an Octave build, and should be a dependency of Octave if full functionality is desired.

Thoughts?

Ben