Jonathan Stickel wrote:
[]
> Although it is difficult to tell from Alex's terse response, I think he
> means that a modification to the Octave package in Fink will be needed,
> i.e. a change to the octave.info file.  I am still new to Fink and don't
> understand the details myself, but it looks like some packages have
> "variants":  they are compiled against different libraries and are
> therefor different.  Like you, I would argue that since fftw, qhull,
> hdf5 are not treated as variants, then suitesparse should not be treated
> as a variant either.

The minimal modification needed would be to have an entry for
suitesparse (or whatever the name of the new package is) in the
BuildDepends and/or Depends lines of the octave.info file.

Read the section on the Depends field in
<http://www.finkproject.org/doc/packaging/reference.php?phpLang=en#fields>