Hi, I'm trying to speed up fink installs on my new Leopard machine.
Our group has a couple of fast linux boxes which I'd like to ideally
set up as binary repositories. The problem obviously is that they run
(i686) Linux, not Darwin. It seems to me that I should be able to
compile fink and tell it to use a cross-compiler to build all the
packages, and then proceed as normal for a custom respository.

I've played a bit with distcc but  obviously it wouldn't be as ideal a
solution b/c I'd still need to initiate the builds from my mac--I'd
rather have the server churn away and do the compilations itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience doing this kind of thing?

Option 2: I thought of running a small virtual machine on the server,
installing Darwin, and then running fink on it. Perhaps this would be
simpler than cross-compiling.

NB If the sodan repositories were compiling 10.5 that would be the
easiest solution!

Any help, ideas, etc. would be great!