Murali has asked me to help create a mesa
package with libglw splitoff that builds against
the system libGL. I am puzzled as to why we really
want to have a complete mesa package in fink.
Such a package will obviously use software
rendering and thus be an order of magnitude
slower than the system libGL which uses
direct rendering.
    I have asked the X.org developers and they
do intend to port the X.org X11 Leopard packages
to build using Mesa 7 at some point (with
modifications to properly use direct rendering).
It would seem better to wait for that (as a
replacement of the MacOS X X11) than to
downgrade the performance of OpenGL with
software rendering.
              Jack