Dear Sjors,

I'm not convinced that you have correctly diagnosed the crashes you have seen.

The shared libraries of libjpeg and libjpeg8 have different names, and the
dynamic linker cannot possibly confuse them.  There is a remote possibility
that some other library is confusing symbols between libjpeg and libjpeg8,
but my understanding is that whatever symbols are in common between the
two are identical.

Fink's entire system was built on this important property of the OS X dynamic
linker: old versions of the library can stay around for things that need them,
even when newer versions of the library have been created.  This works as
long as library maintainers follow the correct versioning rules, but -- as
indicated
above -- I've seen no evidence that the libjpeg/libjpeg8 transition violates
any versioning rules.

So, while it may be desirable to convert, there should be no urgency whatsover
about the conversion.

I strongly encourage you to investigate the "crashes" you are reporting
further, to determine their true cause.

  Best regards,
  Dave

P.S.  Two of the packages of mine which you mention -- imagemagick1-shlibs and
libdjvulibre15-shlibs -- are in fact old (perhaps obsolete) versions of
packages which exist in newer versions in fink.  THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON
TO CHANGE OBSOLETE PACKAGES to use a different library.